Tune Around!

CQ-Calling All Hams!
About Hamuniverse
Antenna Design
Antenna Safety!
Ask Elmer

About Batteries
Code Practice
Computer Help
FCC Information
Ham Hints 
Ham Radio News!
Post Reviews 
Product Reviews
Ham Radio Videos!
HF & Shortwave

License Study
Midi Music
Reading Room
Repeater Basics
Repeater Builders
RFI Tips and Tricks
Ham Satellites
Shortwave Listening
Support The Site
Vhf and Up
Site Map
Privacy Policy
Legal Stuff

Advertising Info

This antenna project idea by KJ4LXW

See this link for more "Cheap and Easy" 2 meter antennas.

Here's the antenna mounted on top of the camera tripod. It is attached with zip ties. The feed is also secured with a tie so that is doesn't strain the conductors or connections.


Note that center conductor from coax is attached to the element pointing down in the picture above. This was taken from the original plans. It is not known what difference there would be if it was attached to the "top" element.
Using the screws into the wooden block insulator allows quick and easy attachment of the feed line. I would suggest stripping back enough insulation, then securing the line in place first before attaching to the "terminals". Use enough conductor to go around the screw 2-3 times. Pinch and hold in place with needlenose pliers as you tighten the screw down. I use this antenna mainly indoors and it is not left outside unattended so I didn't bother with "weather-proofing" the connection.

For lowest swr, trim both ends equally in very small amounts while using an external swr meter inline with the feedline. It is always better to have too much length to start with on the elements rather than not enough so you may want to cut the elements long to start with before tuning.


When stripping the #12 solid wire, I clipped two small pieces of insulation and placed them over the ends of the "elements" for safety. They can be secured on with super glue or some other adhesive.


I had a Motorola radio holster that is made of solid plastic from work. I zip tied it also to the tripod's carry handle to provide a secure and convenient location to "mount" the HT. The velcro strap seen has nothing to do with holding the radio in place. It is a little mod I made to help hold the speaker mic's plug in so that it doesn't work it's self out (VX-150 owners know what I mean).


Rear view of the "radio mounting hardware".


I also tried this design using a 16 inch long piece of wood.
I inserted a screw in the rear so that a reflector could be added turning the antenna into a 2 element Yagi.  I did not notice any difference in performance with the reflector from the design plans, but it should be noted that I did not do any extensive testing and was only trying to hit repeaters that I could hit already.
Perhaps someone else could give it a try and report their results.


On the air comparison of rubber duck and this new design antenna:

The radio meter shows full scale on the local repeaters I could already hit using the new design. With the rubber duck, it was possible that I could drop a bar or two depending on location/conditions. I could hit the local towers using high or mid power. With the "Cheap and Easy", I can now use low power setting (0.5w) on my VX-150 to hit the towers I could already access with the rubber duck.
With the rubber duck, I show about 4-5 bars (out of 7) on the S meter for the 15 mile distant repeater when monitoring their signals. The meter is full scale when using the "Cheap and Easy" antenna.
Depending on location when indoors it will drop one bar.
Some work was done to the repeater that is 24 miles from me. They raised their antenna significantly higher. With the rubber duck, I can hit it now using 5w, but the meter shows only 3-4 bars.

KJ4LXW kj4lxw at hotmail.com

This project was taken from ideas in

Monitor police, fire, ham radio, rescue, ships and more!


Hamuniverse.com uses Green Geeks Web Hosting!