Tune Around!

CQ-Calling All Hams!
About Hamuniverse
Antenna Design
Antenna Safety!
Ask Elmer
About Batteries
Code Practice
Computer Help
FCC Information
Ham Hints 
Ham Radio News!
Post Reviews 
Product Reviews
Ham Radio Videos!
HF & Shortwave
License Study
Midi Music
Reading Room
Repeater Basics
Repeater Builders
RFI Tips and Tricks
Ham Satellites
Shortwave Listening
Support The Site
Vhf and Up
Site Map
Privacy Policy
Legal Stuff

Advertising Info



K5LUO Shows Off his 2 Meter Slim Jim Antenna
(Made from old J pole antennas using "HamEngineering")

Well I got the Slim Jim built.  Does not look like much as I used what I had.  It is up on the tower at about 50'.  On the ground (11' up) the SWR across the 2 meter band was less than 1.5:1.
At 146.00 it was 1.2:1.


After getting it all up on the tower, (photo above), I discovered that the coax I was going to use had been hit by lightning and was bad.  So I had to piece together a couple runs of coax.  I used RG8U coax.

The SWR ranged from 1.4:1 to 1.6:1 and at 146.00 ... 1.5:1.  So I am definitely happy.

The Slim Jim antenna is a total of 59" long top to bottom, with a 2 1/8 center to center spread between the copper.  I used PVC to keep the spread at about 2 1/8".  I forgot to measure the gap, but it was around 1 1/2".   

Testing it out.......I started with approx. 2 watts on a HT.  I was able to "talk" on repeaters at an air distance of 35 miles.  Some noise, but very readable.  At 50 watts on a mobile, full quieting.  I did a lot of testing with the 2 watt HT with the antenna 11' off the ground.

At the 35 mile repeater distance, I was able to key the repeater but no voice modulation; however, at a different direction at 35 miles, I could talk but with a lot of noise.  At the 50 watt level no problem.

I'm really impressed with this antenna.
I really want to make another one for a different radio.  It will be mounted a little lower, and new copper!

Like I said, this antenna was pieced together using 2 old J poles.  I ended up having to lengthen the Slim Jim, so I used copper tees.  That's all I had and they worked fine.

I know it does not look like much, so if it is not suitable for the website no problem.  I used the KE5FXU, Richard's idea for the tuning block and it worked just fine.  I did not mount it (tuning block) because I wanted to use it on tuning other antennas.  I used small bolts/screws and soldered/welded them to the copper. 73 -
Bill K5LUO

Editor note. Although Bill reminds us that the finished antenna "does not look like much" we think ANY antenna is a beutiful work of art! And as a bonus, he loves it!






Hamuniverse.com uses Green Geeks Web Hosting!